qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Stop using "which" in ./configure

From: Loïc Minier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Stop using "which" in ./configure
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:51:03 +0100

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> >  Are you saying that I can't backup/restore IFS without setting it
> >  first?
> Yes, it affects the behavior of read for example:
> $ echo a b c | (read a b c; echo $a; echo $b; echo $c)
> $ IFS=
> $ echo a b c | (read a b c; echo $a; echo $b; echo $c)
> a b c
>
> $
> (It's not used by QEMU's configure, but it's better to be defensive).

 I *do* understand that changing IFS will affect the program, but the
 patch I sent will backup IFS and then restore it; perhaps you missed
 the backup/restore bits:

 +    local_ifs="$IFS"
 [...]
 +    IFS=:
 [...]
 +            IFS="$local_ifs"
 +            return 0
 [...]
 +    IFS="$local_ifs"
 +    return 1

 Do you have an example of how that breaks if IFS isn't ever set in
 ./configure at all?

--
Loïc Minier