qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Jan 26

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Jan 26
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:33:25 +0000

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 03:24:50PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 01/26/2010 03:18 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:
> >
> >The main question is where does it belong?
> >
> >a) built into qemu
> >b) built as separate tool, but shipped with qemu
> >c) completely separate
> >
> >I'm personally leaning towards a. That way we can reuse the detection code
> >and give help when an option is used that doesn't work.
> >

> Me too, especially as the whole stack is involved, and qemu is the
> topmost part from our perspective (no doubt libvirt will want to
> integrate that functionality as well).

FYI, libvirt already exposes this kind of functionality. The API call
virConnectGetCapabilities() / command line "virsh capabilities" command
tells you about what the virtualization host is able to support. It can
tell you what architectures are supported, by which binaries. What
machine types are available. Whether KVM or KQEMU acceleration are
present. What CPU model / flags are on the host. What NUMA topology is
available. etc etc

The data format it outputs though is not exactly targetted for direct
end user consumption though, rather its a XML doc aimed at applications
The virt-manager app tries to use this to inform the user of problems
such as ability todo hardware virt, but it not being enabled.

Regards,
Daniel