qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] running qemu-system-mipsel with VGA graphic mode based malt

From: daniel tian
Subject: [Qemu-devel] running qemu-system-mipsel with VGA graphic mode based malta board kernel
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 16:23:01 +0800

Hi, Aurelien Jarno:

I just encounter a problem in running kernel on qemu mips malta board,
I don't know how to bring up the graphic mode.
with the option --nographic, it's ok: the kernel and rootfs run successfully.

But I after removing the --nographic, qemu window is black-blank, no
single word was displayed.

I am wondering whether the graphic mode is supported in qemu mips-malta board.

The command I run:

qemu-system-mipsel -M malta -kernel vmlinux-malta -hda
~/rootfs_poky.ext2 -append "root=/dev/hda rootfstype=ext2
console=ttyS0" -nographic

And I hacked and debug the qemu source code in gdb.
there is a member variable in structure VGACommonState is ar_index.
this variable is always 0 after being reset in function "vga_reset".
this will cause the "graphic_mode" variable in vga_update_display
function always being set as GMODE_BLANK.

There are several functions which will rewrite the VGACommonState
.ar_index, such as vga_ioport_write, cirrus_vga_save,cirrus_vga_load,
vga_save, but they were not triggerred.
Do I miss something?

I don't where I could get some help, so after gotta your name in
mips-malta.c, maybe youcan give me some advice.

Thanks very much!

                                  daniel.tian