qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch] Support translating Guest physical address to H

From: Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch] Support translating Guest physical address to Host virtual address.
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 13:29:43 -0200

On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 08:23 -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 02/03/2010 08:11 AM, Kleen, Andi wrote:
> >
> >> If you want to integrate MCE testing into qemu using the host
> >> to inject
> >> MCEs, you'll need to figure out a way to do it that allows the whole
> >> thing to be done without potentially killing the wrong process or
> >>
> > In the test it's very simple. The process is kept running during
> > the injection. With that its addresses do not change.
> >
> > So that problem is already solved.
> >
> > The feature doesn't aim to be a general feature for normal users,
> > it's merely for QA.
> >

> Yeah, but if we put a feature in qemu, we need to be able to support it
> for anyone who wants to use it.
>
> Adding something for a very particular test suite that won't work in
> normal circumstances is just asking for trouble IMHO.

Perhaps we can enable it at compile time, so in production builds that
is disabled. It's not *that* much of a problem.

The purpose for this patch is that we can integrate the whole test suite
into kvm autotest, and we have ways to conveniently build qemu source
code, passing special flags to configure and everything.

So having this patch upstream at some point would make things easier,
since the folks at intel won't have to keep maintaining that patch for
every little change on qemu code, and we'll have better qa for qemu and
kvm.