qemu-devel

RE: [Qemu-devel] [Patch] Support translating Guest physical address to H

From: Kleen, Andi
Subject: RE: [Qemu-devel] [Patch] Support translating Guest physical address to Host virtual address.
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 15:49:53 +0000

>Yeah, but if we put a feature in qemu, we need to be able to
>support it
>for anyone who wants to use it.

It's useful for anyone who wants to use it for testing purposes.
And it's useful to make sure the qemu/kernel/kvm machine check
injection code works.

>Adding something for a very particular test suite that won't work in
>normal circumstances is just asking for trouble IMHO.

RAS features generally need associated testing/injection hooks,
otherwise they don't get tested regularly enough and bitrot.

>I still don't really understand all the pieces that are
>involved here.
>Why do we need a guest physical address?  Are we testing
>reflecting MCEs
>from the host into a guest?  Since that functionality isn't in qemu
>aren't we putting the cart before the horse here?

qemu has support for triggering MCEs on the monitor.

Also the KVM code base has support for forwarding the MCEs automatically.

-Andi