qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Two QMP events issues

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Two QMP events issues
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:13:37 -0600

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 08:49:20AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
For further backgrou, the key end goal here is that in a QMP client, upon
receipt of the  'RESET' event, we need to reliably&   immediately determine
why it  occurred. eg, triggered by watchdog, or by guest OS request. There
are actually 3 possible sequences

  - WATCHDOG + action=reset, followed by RESET.  Assuming no intervening
    event can occurr, the client can merely record 'WATCHDOG' and interpret
    it when it gets the immediately following 'RESET' event

  - RESET, followed by WATCHDOG + action=reset. The client doesn't know
    the reason for the RESET and can't wait arbitrarily for WATCHDOG since
    there might never be one arriving.

  - RESET + source=watchdog. Client directly sees the reason

The second scenario is the one I'd like us to avoid at all costs, since it
will require the client to introduce arbitrary delays in processing events
to determine cause. The first is slightly inconvenient, but doable if we
can assume no intervening events will occur, between WATCHDOG and the
RESET events. The last is obviously simplest for the clients.

I really prefer the third option but I'm a little concerned that we're
throwing events around somewhat haphazardly.

So let me ask, why does a client need to determine when a guest reset
and why it reset?
If a guest OS is repeatedly hanging/crashing resulting in the watchdog
device firing, management software for the host really wants to know about
that (so that appropriate alerts/action can be taken) and thus needs to
be able to distinguish this from a "normal"  guest OS initiated reboot.

I think that's an argument for having the watchdog events independent of the reset events.

The watchdog condition happening is not directly related to the action the watchdog takes. The watchdog event really belongs in a class events that are closely associated with a particular device emulation.

In fact, I think what we're really missing in events today is a notion of a context. A RESET event is really a CPU event. A watchdog expiration event is a watchdog event. A connect event is a VNC event (Spice and chardevs will also generate connect events).

Including what the current action is in the watchdog expiration event is certainly reasonable although not strictly necessary.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Regards,
Daniel