qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Seabios dislikes -M isapc

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Seabios dislikes -M isapc
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 18:00:45 -0600

On 02/09/2010 05:25 PM, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 01:41:01AM +0300, malc wrote:
On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, Natalia Portillo wrote:

Xenix is currently working (when copied from real hardware).
As well Interactive UNIX and some other non-DOS from 8086 and 286 era.

I'm not really sure that operating systems (specially the 8086 ones that do
mmu functions in software) will be happy with the PCI bus present.

Same for first 386 operating systems (OS/2 2, UNIX, Xenix, so on).
News to me that OS/2 worked.. I don't quite remember which version
someone (you?) asked me to try on IRC a few years back, but it definitely
didn't work.

I have got OS/2 warp working under QEMU a few years ago. I couldn't give
more details though, I just remember it was working nicely.

The problem with isapc is that it uses a different chipset (or rather, doesn't use a PCI chipset). I think the current thinking with target-i386 config files is that while you should be able to customize the system, some of the core bits would always be there. For instance, the PCI chipset, the APIC, etc. These things are very tied to a platform.

Firmware is really hard to implement if you have to deal with supporting multiple chipsets.

Also, if we don't have a workload that actually needs isapc, that suggests that there's no real way to test that isapc doesn't have non-ISA things creep into it.

Given that, I'm inclined to suggest that we mark isapc as deprecated, give people some time to comment on it, and then provided that we still don't think it's necessary, change isapc to simply use isa devices while still using a PCI chipset.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori