qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: KVM usability

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM usability
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:30:59 +0100

[ adding qemu-devel to CC as most issues concern that project as well ]

Ingo Molnar wrote:
> [...]
>    avoid being caught.
>
>  - There's no obvious way to activate paravirt drivers on the Windows side.
>    There's no friendly "install guest drivers" button to click on with Qemu.
>
>    _Of course_ you will end up emulating hardware in KVM (and passing it
> through
>    to the guest once it's clear that emulation performance sucks) and sooner
>    or later you will end up requesting unreasonable things of the host kernel
>    to achieve that ...
>
>  - Another small detail: there is zero on-screen help (beyond the Ctrl-ALT
>    line) for a newbie to quickly find his way around it. No wiki address, no
>    help, no nothing. There's not even any hint about what this window does.
>    Which guest is it? In what state is that guest?
>
>  - But i'm a more advanced user so i dont need help screens, i knew that the
>    "go full screen" hotkey is:
>
>            LeftCtrl-LeftALT-F
>
>    ... except that it is a one-way road: pressing it for a second time does
>    not restore the window, trapping me in the guest altogether! Ctrl-ALT does
>    not exit the trap either. I had to shut down the guest to get back my X
>    desktop.
>
> etc., etc.
>
> ( I could go on and on about finer details of good integration, like the
>   difficulty of integrating host/guest files, networking, no way to quickly
>   attach ISOs via that window, no way to activate networking, sound and no
> way
>   to snapshot, no way to increase memory size except a command line option. )
>
> etc - but that's not the point really: i only spent 10 minutes on this and i
> didnt try hard at all - _11_ bugs/annoyances from all across the
> functionality
> spectrum.
>
> And the thing is _me_ reporting bugs does not matter at all in this picture,
> so please dont come with "why didnt you report this?".
>
> _Anyone_ with half a brain who takes a critical look at this virtualization
> solution would notice the same. Still, it's essentially unchanged from 5
> years
> ago.
>
> Why is that so? I have outlined my opinion that this is due to the artificial
> package separation / over-modularization and no-one really being in charge of
> "KVM quality as a whole" - and i'm wondering what your theory is how such a
> state of affairs became possible.
>
> I'm not trolling you at all: is it _really_ not obvious to you that the
> KVM/qemu usability status quo honestly sucks, to an unbiased observer?
>
> And AFAICS KVM developers keep concentrating on all the wrong things due to
> that bad split/packaging: writing newer and newer low level kernel patches
> and
> optimizations which are nice but in large part irrelevant because the
> _fundamental basics_ of usability suck so much ... But to you it's probably
> just another external package so not really something you can do much about,

Yes, there are quite a few frontends around, also for desktop
virtualization. AQEMU [1], e.g., should address at least some of your
valuable usability criticisms. If GUIs are not yet optimally integrated
with QEMU and if there is something that can be done inside QEMU or even
KVM, let's discuss that together with the related communities. However,
that is definitely not a valid reason for KVM developers to stop
improving the virtualization core for demanding use cases and start
writing GUIs.

Likely it is unfortunate that there is not The One And Only graphical
frontend for the desktop scenario we can focus on (But is it unfortunate
for desktop Linux that there is still Gnome vs. KDE? I bet there are
zillion opinions on that.). But maybe this discussion here will have the
positive effect that the QEMU/KVM community starts giving more feedback
to some of those projects, and vice versa.

> Really, the KVM design is so nice in many regards and Qemu has come forward
> leaps and bounds in the past few years as well, how can you miss such basic
> areas of weakness? 'First impression' is the thing that gives you new
> developers - it's any OSS project's bread and butter.

'First impression' mostly gives us more users - a worthwhile goal as well!

But developers are rather attracted by rich features, a flexible,
extensible design, a working community and - of course - a proper
licensing model. Look at Virtualbox, they probably meet your usability
requirements out of the box. Do they have a developer community? Not at
all because they miss some of that key requirements. Also for those
reasons, Vbox dropped from the list of candidates for many
virtualization projects @work, and we decided to invest in the true
Linux stack.

Jan

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/aqemu/