qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Documentation: Create qemu-doc.html with makeinfo

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Documentation: Create qemu-doc.html with makeinfo instead of html2texi
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 18:45:50 +0100

Hello,

Am 04.03.2010 um 22:25 schrieb Stefan Weil:

Aurelien Jarno schrieb:
On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:43:28AM +0100, Stefan Weil wrote:
today, html documentation is created using texi2html.

makeinfo can also create html output which looks different.
I think it looks better, but try it yourself:

texi2html (old):
http://wiki.qemu.org/download/qemu-doc.html

makeinfo (new):
http://www.weilnetz.de/qemu-doc.html (single file)
http://www.weilnetz.de/qemu-doc/ (split in many files)

The new qemu-doc.html is smaller than the old one,
so it loads a little faster.

If the new format is accepted, I can provide a patch.

I agree the makeinfo single file version looks better, but it would be
nice to have the opinion of other developers.

I've recently been seeing texi2html problems on OSX:

  GEN   qemu-doc.html
Unknown open() mode ':encoding(utf-8-strict)' at /usr/bin/texi2html line 11111.
make: *** [qemu-doc.html] Error 2

Short of time, I didn't find a quick solution (no mention of utf-8- strict anywhere?) and just disabled it.
If makeinfo improves that, I'd certainly welcome it.

Andreas

Antony Liguori agrees, too.
So the minimum of 3 positive votes was reached, and I sent the patch :-)

Regards,
Stefan