qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: extended vga modes?

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: extended vga modes?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 13:11:29 +0200

On 03/08/2010 01:07 PM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
Avi Kivity wrote:
[]
In short, when vgabios were dropped from qemu-kvm
(for whatever yet unknown reason),
What do you mean?  qemu-kvm still carries a local vgabios (see
kvm/vgabios in qemu-kvm.git).
Oh my.  So we all overlooked it.  I asked you several times
about the bios sources, in 0.12 seabios were supposed to be
in roms/seabios (which is still empty in the release), and
I thought vgabios should be in roms/vgabios (which is empty
too), and concluded it were dropped from qemu-kvm tarball.
But you're right, and I by mistake take vgabios sources from
upstream qemu when building Debian package, instead of using
the old'good sources from kvm/vgabios.  What a mess!... :(

And it looks like that it's time to remove at least parts of
this mess, don't you think?  How about pushing the vgabios
changes to qemu and moving it to the same place where it is
in qemu?  Does it make sense?

We can't push the changes to qemu since qemu.git doesn't have a vgabios fork. We might push the changes upstream. Best of all if the seabios thing repeats itself with vgabios so we have maintainable and maintained vga firmware.