qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Summer of Code 2010

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Summer of Code 2010
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 18:51:04 +0000

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:31:23 +0100 (CET)
> > Johannes Schindelin <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > Note that some students do not finish up their work, do not get properly
> > > involved with the project, get the pay check, and then go somewhere else.
> > > The time of the mentor is quite possibly just wasted in such a case.
> > > Quite
> > > frustrating experience, believe me.
> >
> >  I think that the role of the mentor is close to that of a teacher, from
> > this pov, it's not just wasted time at all (even if the project 'fails').
>
> If you think that mentoring is fun, then you are seriously mistaken. It is
> first, and foremost, and probably only, work.
>
> And if you do not get something back in return for all that work, it is
> awful.

I take Luiz's view: If the student has learned something, that _is_ a
return for the work.  Even if it's not fun to do, it's a result.

Useful code is a desirable bonus of course, but that can't be assumed
even if everyone works hard anyway.

If you don't find that sufficient motivation to mentor, fair enough.
It's always a good idea to make your expectations clear, and ensure
they are understood before committing to anything.

But don't be too disappointed that not every student will see it the
same way, and neither will some other mentors.

I agree strongly with Anthony's note that the best outcomes are likely
to come from having a broad range of success criteria.

-- Jamie