qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Ideas wiki for GSoC 2010

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Ideas wiki for GSoC 2010
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:25:24 +0100

On 11.03.2010, at 10:43, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 03/11/2010 08:55 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
>> On 03/10/2010 11:30 PM, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
>>>
>>> 2. Do we have kvm-specific projects? Can they be part of the QEMU project
>>> or do we need a different mentoring organization for it?
>>
>> Something really interesting is kvm-assisted tcg. I'm afraid it's a bit
>> too complicated to GSoC.
>
> I suppose the GSoC ideas wiki page will migrate to a QEMU ideas page in some
> time, so it's good to have ideas written down.
>
> Also, the selection of projects will be done by members of the community, by
> grading the student's submissions.  The bar would be placed higher for
> someone who picks a complicated project.

The list is also still missing a lot of potential mentors for the listed ideas.
Let me propose some here :)

== Shared memory transport between guest(s) and host ==

Sounds like Avi would be a good fit. I'm pretty unknowledgeable when it comes
to shm.

== Pass through file systems (9p, CIFS) ==

I dislike CIFS now that we use it regularly. It just doesn't work for Linux to
Linux communication. But as far as 9P is concerned, do you need help there
Anthony? If so, would you take over the mentoring?

== Add more sophisticated encodings to VNC server ==

I could probably help out being a secondary mentor here, but Anthony would be a
good fit as primary, no? I guess Kraxel could help out too.

== Write a C QMP library based on QEMU JSON and QMP code ==

Suggested by Anthony, mentored by Anthony? :) Possible other candidates are
Luiz and Kraxel I guess? I haven't really tracked QMP that much.

== Add support for guest copy/paste ==

This should probably be folded into the above VNC server improvements. By
itself it's just too little of a task.

== Device state visualization ==

Jan, Kraxel? Maybe too small for a task?

== Upstreaming some of the Android emulator bits ==

Jan, Anthony?

If you read the suggestion and just think to yourself "well yes, I think I
could do it" - then put your name in the wiki :).

Alex