qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Ideas wiki for GSoC 2010

From: Luiz Capitulino
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Ideas wiki for GSoC 2010
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:16:38 -0300

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:25:24 +0100
Alexander Graf <address@hidden> wrote:

> == Write a C QMP library based on QEMU JSON and QMP code ==
>
> Suggested by Anthony, mentored by Anthony? :) Possible other candidates are
> Luiz and Kraxel I guess? I haven't really tracked QMP that much.

 I didn't candidate as a mentor myself because Anthony has a better idea wrt
to the public API.

 But I certainly can help with the implementation. I have more two or three
QMP projects to suggest, btw.

> == Add support for guest copy/paste ==
>
> This should probably be folded into the above VNC server improvements. By
> itself it's just too little of a task.
>
> == Device state visualization ==
>
> Jan, Kraxel? Maybe too small for a task?

 I think that whether a task is small or not also depends on the student,
of course that we should not come up with a project that can be easily
done in two weeks.

 On the other hand, 'not that difficult' tasks can be an excellent project
for those really new to open source and serious development. You know, when
you're a starter you spend quite a lot of time reading code and trying
things out (and there's nothing wrong with that).

 So, for this kind of project the mentor only should take extra care to
choose a student that is really going to learn a lot in the project.