qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Ideas wiki for GSoC 2010

From: Luiz Capitulino
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Ideas wiki for GSoC 2010
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:56:29 -0300

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:38:47 -0600
Adam Litke <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 12:22 -0300, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:11:31 -0600
> > Adam Litke <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Luiz.  Around the time when I introduced the new Asynchronous monitor
> > > command API we had talked about converting all commands to use this new
> > > API so that we can cut down on duplicate code paths and confusing code.
> > > I would like to propose this as a GSoC project idea.  Do you think it
> > > should stand as its own project or should we merge it into your "Convert
> > > Monitor commands to the QObject API" project?
> >
> >  I think it's a project by itself, but I wonder if it's too easy/short
> > for GSoC. An experienced programmer can do the conversion plus testing
> > in a day or two. There are probably a number of cleanups and adaptions
> > that can take more, but still seems too short.
>
> So given the relatively small scope of this additional work, maybe it
> should be an additional "stretch" goal to be added to your project.

 It could be, our we could try to come up with something additional.

> Once the student(s) have gone through the trouble to familiarize
> themselves with the monitor code, they would be well-positioned to
> complete this extra bit.  How difficult do you imagine it will be to
> convert the remaining commands over to QObject?

 Well, I won't set the goal to convert all of them, because seems
too much work and Anthony has said that we may not want all the
handlers available under QMP. So, this has to be discussed (preferably
before GSoC starts for students).

 Also, I have two other projects that could related to the async
conversion:

- Simplify/Improve the QObject API
- Improve error handling (QError conversion involved)