qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Ideas wiki for GSoC 2010

From: Joerg Roedel
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Ideas wiki for GSoC 2010
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:24:48 +0100

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 03:11:42PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:

>>> Our experiments show that nested device assignment is pretty much
>>> required for I/O performance in nested scenarios.
>>>
>> Really? I did a small test with virtio-blk in a nested guest (disk read
>> with dd, so not a real benchmark) and got a reasonable read-performance
>> of around 25MB/s from the disk in the l2-guest.
>>

> Your guest wasn't doing a zillion VMREADs and VMWRITEs every exit.
>
> I plan to reduce VMREAD/VMWRITE overhead for kvm, but not much we can do
> for other guests.

Does it matter for the ept-on-ept case? The initial patchset of
nested-vmx implemented it and they reported a performance drop of around
12% between levels which is reasonable. So I expected the loss of
io-performance for l2 also reasonable in this case. My small measurement
was also done using npt-on-npt.

        Joerg