qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Supporting hypervisor specific APIs in libvirt

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Supporting hypervisor specific APIs in libvirt
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 06:53:02 +0200

On 03/23/2010 09:31 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

One problem is that this is libvirt version specific. For example, libvirt x doesn't support spice so we control that thorough qmp. But libvirt x+1 does support spice and now it gets confused about all the spice messages.

That's only a problem if we only support a single QMP session. This is exactly why we need to support multiple QMP sessions (and do).

It's unrelated to the number of sessions. libvirt expects state that it manages in qemu not to change randomly. Users know that, so they will only manage non-libvirt state in their private session. But a new version of libvirt may expand its scope and start managing this area, leading to conflicts.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.