qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Compile files only once: some planning

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Compile files only once: some planning
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:05:10 +0200

On 3/24/10, Michael S. Tsirkin <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:43:51PM +0200, Blue Swirl wrote:
>  > rtl8139.c, e1000.c: need to convert ldl/stl to
> cpu_physical_memory_read/write.
>

> I don't see how it would help. These still get target_phys_addr_t which
>  is per-target. Further, a ton of devices do
>  cpu_register_physical_memory/qemu_register_coalesced_mmio.
>  These are also per target.

I don't know what I was eating yesterday: there are no references to
ldl/stl in either rtl8139 or e1000. In fact, the conversion is simple
for the device itself, just add a property "be". The attached patch
performs this part.

But now there is a bigger problem, how to pass the property to the
device. It's not fair to require the user to remember to set it.

>  A simple solution would be to change all of cpu_XX functions to
>  get a 64 bit address. This is a lot of churn, if we do this
>  anyway we should also pass length to callbacks, this way
>  rwhandler will get very small or go away completely.

It's not too much effort to keep the target_phys_addr_t type.