qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] full dynamic instruction trace for MIPS target

From: Vince Weaver
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] full dynamic instruction trace for MIPS target
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 21:41:52 -0400 (EDT)

> I think the correct way to get the full instruction trace on a MIPS
> emulated processor is:

the way you describe is slow because you are constantly re-generating the
TBs.  The best way to do this is to add your instrumentation to the TBs.

I have code that does that for a recent version of Qemu here:
  http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~vince/projects/qemusim/

although it outputs Basic-Block vectors, not a full memory trace like you
want.  It has been validated to match proper instruction counts using
hardware performnce counters though.

I also have code creating full instruction/memory traces for Qemu MIPS
that can be found here:
  http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~vince/projects/qemu-trace/

but it's against Qemu from 2007 pre-dating the TCG changeover so of
limited use probably.  I hvae some code somewhere that updated this to
work with TCG but I don't know what happened to it.

Vince