qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: libvirt vs. in-qemu management

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: libvirt vs. in-qemu management
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 15:58:15 +0300

On 04/06/2010 03:43 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:

Does VMware Player support OVF?
Does VMware Workstation support OVF?
Does VMware Server support OVF?
Do older VMware ESX versions support OVF?
Does it make sense to build an OVF with a Xen PV image?

We need to deliver vendor specific configs anyways. Of course we could
ship a VMware type, a Xen type and an OVF type. But that would certainly
not help KVM's awareness because it's hidden underneath the OVF type.

Adding yet another format into the mix isn't helping people who create appliances.

It's also hard to tell people what to use. People know KVM. But people
don't know what UI KVM does have. Because there is none. I think we're
losing quite a bit of traction due to that.

Of course there is a UI, RHEV-M, proxmox, virt-manager, others. virt-manager is special in that it also manages other hypervisors.

Note the esx UI is not called esx, it's called vCenter or something.