qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: libvirt vs. in-qemu management

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: libvirt vs. in-qemu management
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 15:14:00 +0100

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 02:43:47PM +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:
> Does VMware Player support OVF?
> Does VMware Workstation support OVF?
> Does VMware Server support OVF?

Yes, but "OVF" is a rather loose term here.  OVF isn't too
well standardized.  But ...

> Does it make sense to build an OVF with a Xen PV image?

This hits on the fundamental problem.  What your guest might require
could be different from what the hypervisor could provide.  Your guest
could require Xen paravirtualization, or even just an obscure network
card which the hypervisor cannot supply.

It's a bit easier if you are building pre-packaged appliances (these
have multiple other problems such as their size, and how they get
updated).

V2V conversion of random guests from another hypervisor to KVM is a
very hard problem, something that we're working on with virt-v2v.  We
certainly don't go via OVF, and we do lots of tinkering inside the
guest (eg. installing new kernels).

Rich.