qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] AHCI emulation

From: Joerg Roedel
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] AHCI emulation
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 16:08:52 +0200

Hello Roland, Luiz,

Sorry I missed this email. Here is my reply.

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 09:57:27AM -0300, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 18:56:17 +0200
> Roland Elek <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Seeing the controversy about the S3 Trio, and the fact that there seems to
> > be another applicant interested in it, I've decided to prepare a proposal
> > for the AHCI emulation project, the other project of my interest. I have
> > skimmed through the documentation and some Qemu code, and it seems to me
> > that to add AHCI emulation, I would have to implement an AHCI HBA and a SATA
> > device to connect to it. The SATA part could be an extension of the existing
> > IDE code. Am I right about these?

If we could extend the IDE code and if it makes sense should be
evaluated. My personal feeling is that it is easier to start from ground
and implement an AHCI HBA with SATA ports and SATA command
execution. We could merge it with the existing IDE code later if this
makes sense. We don't really know yet.

        Joerg