qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [GSoC 2010][RESEND] Shared memory transport between gue

From: Cam Macdonell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [GSoC 2010][RESEND] Shared memory transport between guest(s) and host
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:40:06 -0600

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 5:30 AM, Mohammed Gamal <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am interested in the "Shared memory transport between guest(s) and
> host" project for GSoC 2010. The description of the project is pretty
> straightforward, but I am a little bit lost on some parts:
>
> 1- Is there any documentation available on KVM shared memory
> transport. This'd definitely help understand how inter-vm shared
> memory should work.

Hi Mohammed,

A shared memory transport would be a new addition to the code base so
there isn't anything yet "in KVM".  That said, I'm working on my patch
and it will hopefully be accepted soon.  Frankly, while I suggested
this project, I'm not sure there's enough work remaining for the full
Summer.

> 2- Does the project only aim at providing a shared memory transport
> between a single host and a number of guests, with the host acting as
> a central node containing shared memory objects and communication
> taking placde only between guests and host, or is there any kind of
> guest-guest communications to be supported? If yes, how should it be
> done?

My patch currently supports guest-to-guest communication and
guest-to-host.  I'll be sending out a new version shortly.  You can
see if there's something you might like to add to it whether it's part
of GSoC or not.

Cheers,
Cam