qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [GSoC 2010] Pass-through filesystem support.

From: Mohammed Gamal
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [GSoC 2010] Pass-through filesystem support.
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 00:17:30 +0200

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 11:22 PM, Jamie Lokier <address@hidden> wrote:
> Mohammed Gamal wrote:
>> 2- With respect to CIFS. I wonder how the shares are supposed to be
>> exposed to the guest. Should the Samba server be modified to be able
>> to use unix domain sockets instead of TCP ports and then QEMU
>> communicating on these sockets. With that approach, how should the
>> guest be able to see the exposed share? And what is the problem of
>> using Samba with TCP ports?
>
> One problem with TCP ports is it only works when the guest's network
> is up :) You can't boot from that.  It also makes things fragile or
> difficult if the guest work you are doing involves fiddling with the
> network settings.
>
> Doing it over virtio-serial would have many benefits.
>
> On the other hand, Samba+TCP+CIFS does have the advantage of working
> with virtually all guest OSes, including Linux / BSDs / Windows /
> MacOSX / Solaris etc.  9P only works with Linux as far as I know.
>
> I big problem with Samba at the moment is it's not possible to
> instantiate multiple instances of Samba any more, and not as a
> non-root user.  That's because it contains some hard-coded paths to
> directories of run-time state, at least on Debian/Ubuntu hosts where I
> have tried and failed to use qemu's smb option, and there is no config
> file option to disable that or even change all the paths.
>
> Patching Samba to make per-user instantiations possible again would go
> a long way to making it useful for filesystem passthrough.  Patching
> it so you can turn off all the fancy features and have it _just_ serve
> a filesystem with the most basic necessary authentication would be
> even better.
>
> -- Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your input.

That's all good and well. The question now is which direction would
the community prefer to go. Would everyone be just happy with
virtio-9p passthrough? Would it support multiple OSs (Windows comes to
mind here)? Or would we eventually need to patch Samba for passthrough
filesystems?

Regards,
Mohammed