qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Host vs Guest memory allocation

From: Richard Henderson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Host vs Guest memory allocation
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 07:48:45 -0700

On 04/12/2010 04:25 AM, Paul Brook wrote:
(1) Enable softmmu for userland. This is of course the highest overhead,
     but will work for all combinations.

This has a significant performance hit, and gets very tricky for things like
mmaped files.

It has the advantage of actually working for several cases of 64-on-32
that simply don't at the moment. MMap is tricky, but no more than usual. We still have problems with partial pages mapped past the end
of the file when host page size > target page size.

(2) Pre-allocate the entire guest address space in the host.  With
     Linux mmap w/ MAP_NORESERVE or Windows VirtualAlloc w/ MEM_RESERVE
     and a possibly reduced guest address space this is doesn't seem so bad.

This breaks if the host sets ulimit -v.

Yes, but we'd know that immediately at startup. This is why I recommended implementing multiple solutions and falling back from one to the other when we find they don't work.

r~