qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio block device and sysfs

From: Marc Haber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio block device and sysfs
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:30:55 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:22:14AM -0400, john cooper wrote:
> Marc Haber wrote:

> >> You probably would just want to plumb ,serial=X into the virtio-blk
> >> config space and have the driver use it.  Then you can do
> >> /dev/block/by-id/XXXXX
> >
> > It the serial "number" can be alphanumeric, that would be great to have.
>
> It is simply a string of 20 characters, which AFAICT has
> its roots in the ATA S/N convention along with many other
> puzzling present day evils.

That would be enough for my purposes, but more would be acceptable as
well.

> All that said, I like the alternate choice of adding a
> special virtio request far better.  It is actually simpler
> (and more maintainable IMO) than going through the
> gyrations of stuffing the S/N data through PCI config
> space.

Whatever is more easily implemented ;)    How would a Windows
installation see the label then?

Has my wish made its way on the official wishlist and/or roadmap?

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190