qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Apr 27

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Apr 27
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 08:21:20 -0500

On 04/27/2010 08:18 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:

The watermark is not some complex computed value, but actually the
statistic itself. We can get rid of handling a threshold in qemu by just
signalling "something has changed with this stat".

I'm really not arguing that qemu should do anything complex or even
define policy. It's just about avoiding polling all the time when
nothing has changed and polling too late when things are changing quickly.

Polling is really the right solution.  It gives the management tool
ultimate flexibility in tweaking the heuristics as they see fit.
Isn't providing this flexibility completely orthogonal to polling vs.
event-based?

Except then we need to offer a generic statistics mechanism which seems like it's going to add a fair bit of complexity. So far, the only argument for it seems to be a misplaced notion that "polling is evil".

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Kevin