qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: vgabios + qemu: issues and plans.

From: Sebastian Herbszt
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: vgabios + qemu: issues and plans.
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 20:09:34 +0200

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
  Hi,

First, I'd like to be able to load the vgabios via PCI ROM bar on all
pci vga cards (stdvga, vmware, soon qxl). The PCI ID in the bios has
to match the PCI ID of the card, so we'll need a bunch of vga bios
binaries, all identical except for the PCI ID. Or we need some kind of
binary patching. Otherwise seabios will not load them from the PCI ROM
bar.

vgabios could be build multiple times with PCIBIOS set and VENDOR_ID and
DEVICE_ID supplied from the Makefile like it's already done with
VGABIOS_DATE.

Yes, something like this I have in mind.

Works for stdvga and qxl. vmware fails as it has the memory at pci region 1 (region 0 has ioports) and it seems vgabios isn't prepared to handle that ...

Do you mean vgabios currently doesn't work with qemu and "-vga vmware" ?

Anyone knows what the best place to send patches to is? vgabios-developers list @ savannah looks pretty much dead. It has one (!) message in 2009 which is an unanswered question.

Or is upstream dead anyway and we should just go with http://git.qemu.org/vgabios.git/ ?

From the "amount" of messages on the mailing list i conclude vgabios
just works good enough for most people. I would not say the developement
is dead, but event driven and there is no itch to strach at the moment.

Try sending patches to the mailing list and/or the vgabios home at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/vgabios .

Sebastian

cheers,
  Gerd