qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Cavium Networks' Octeon hardware gets simulated

From: Dmitry Antipov
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Cavium Networks' Octeon hardware gets simulated
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 18:23:32 +0400

Hello all,

I would like to announce the first successful emulation of Cavium Networks'
Octeon
hardware (http://www.caviumnetworks.com/OCTEON_MIPS64.html). I'm using heavy
modified
QEMU 0.12.2 and MontaVista's CGE 5.1
(http://www.mvista.com/product_detail_cge.php) as
the target Linux system. But I suppose it shouldn't be too hard to enable
community-based
kernel and user space applications too.

Devices emulation is very limited (serial port, on-board flash and smc91
network card
instead of native and very sophisticated Octeon's network chip), but the whole
system
is quite usable to run full-featured user space via NFS root.

My QEMU modifications are quite dirty (other MIPSes are broken with them), and
most
probably needs some rewrites and/or massive cleanups before even making an
attempt to
merge them into main tree. But if we have a few persons interesting with this
work,
I'll be glad to announce the code and work with the maintainer(s) to get the
code in.

Thanks in advance,
Dmitry