qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] New Monitor command: 'info netdevices'

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] New Monitor command: 'info netdevices'
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 08:30:19 -0500

On 05/13/2010 09:18 AM, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
  Hi there,

  Miguel is working on converting 'info network' to QMP, but turns out that it's
been quite difficult to maintain the exact same output.

  The main problem seems to be the usage of the 'info_str' string, which some
drivers (like tap, xen, vde, socket, etc) write arbitrary data into it. Then,
it's difficult to maintain the same output when we store the same data in
a qdict.

  Another problem is wrt to maintaining the same ordering of devices, while
there's a solution for this one, the code gets ugly.

  We have to choices:

1. Convert it, anyway. Try our best not to break the output, even knowing
    this is likely to happen

2. Play it safe and introduce a new 'info netdevices' command, which
    just print one device per line

  I think 2 is better.

PS: As far as I know, 'info network' is not used by libvirt.

I'd vote for (2).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori