qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for May 18

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for May 18
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 15:55:41 +0100

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 09:34:06AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 05/18/2010 09:09 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> >>- Slipping 0.13 release out to July 1st.
> >>
> >What is the plan wrt QMP and 0.13 ? Is the intention to have 100%[1] of the
> >existing monitor commands converted to QMP?
>
> No.  I don't think our goal is to ever fully convert monitor commands to
> QMP.  Some commands simply don't make sense as QMP commands (like x and xp).

We're a really long way from a complete conversion even  ignoring
commands which don't make sense in QMP. The current state almost
covers the commands libvirt currently uses, but there's much more
beyond that.

> Is there a set of commands that you think need to be converted that
> currently aren't?

Notable outstanding commands that libvirt has a non-negligable
chance of wanting to use in the not too distant future

 - blockdev_add/del (to replace drive_add/del)
 - commit/delvm/loadvm/savevm
 - screendump
 - set_link
 - mouse_{move,button,set}
 - sendkey
 - acl_{add,remove,policy,reset,show}
 - boot_set
 - watchdog_action

The full list of unconverted commands though is much long:

  $ grep cmd qemu-monitor.hx  | grep -v cmd_new | grep -v async
        .mhandler.cmd = do_help_cmd,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_commit,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_logfile,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_log,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_savevm,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_loadvm,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_delvm,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_singlestep,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_gdbserver,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_memory_dump,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_physical_memory_dump,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_print,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_ioport_read,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_ioport_write,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_sendkey,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_sum,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_usb_add,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_usb_del,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_mouse_move,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_mouse_button,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_mouse_set,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_wav_capture,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_stop_capture,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_boot_set,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_inject_nmi,
        .mhandler.cmd = drive_hot_add,
        .mhandler.cmd = net_host_device_add,
        .mhandler.cmd = net_host_device_remove,
        .mhandler.cmd = net_slirp_hostfwd_add,
        .mhandler.cmd = net_slirp_hostfwd_remove,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_watchdog_action,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_acl_show,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_acl_policy,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_acl_add,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_acl_remove,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_acl_reset,
        .mhandler.cmd = do_inject_mce,

   $ grep 'mhandler.info' monitor.c | grep -v info_new | grep -v async
        .mhandler.info = do_info_network,
        .mhandler.info = do_info_registers,
        .mhandler.info = do_info_history,
        .mhandler.info = irq_info,
        .mhandler.info = pic_info,
        .mhandler.info = tlb_info,
        .mhandler.info = mem_info,
        .mhandler.info = do_info_jit,
        .mhandler.info = do_info_numa,
        .mhandler.info = usb_info,
        .mhandler.info = usb_host_info,
        .mhandler.info = do_info_profile,
        .mhandler.info = do_info_capture,
        .mhandler.info = do_info_snapshots,
        .mhandler.info = pcmcia_info,
        .mhandler.info = do_info_cpu_stats,
        .mhandler.info = do_info_usernet,
        .mhandler.info = do_info_qtree,
        .mhandler.info = do_info_qdm,
        .mhandler.info = do_info_roms,

I don't think we can claim all those are irrelevant for QMP.

So are we still targetting complete conversion of relevant commands
for 0.13, or is it just going to be a stepping stone where declare
QMP stable, but known to be incomplete for coverage of commands ?

Daniel
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|