qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/5] Tracing backends

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/5] Tracing backends
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 22:08:18 +0100

The following patches against qemu.git allow static trace events to be declared
in QEMU.  Trace events use a lightweight syntax and are independent of the
backend tracing system (e.g. LTTng UST).

Supported backends are:
 * my trivial tracer ("simple")
 * LTTng Userspace Tracer ("ust")
 * no tracer ("nop", the default)

The ./configure option to choose a backend is --trace-backend=.

Main point of this patchset: adding new trace events is easy and we can switch
between backends without modifying the code.

Prerna: Would you like to add your tracing system as a backend?  This would be
similar to my patches to add "simple" and "ust" backend support.

Jan: Adding kernel marker backend support should be straightforward if you are
interested.

These patches are also available at:
http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu/stefanha.git/shortlog/refs/heads/tracing