qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/3] Tracing framework for QEMU

From: Prerna Saxena
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/3] Tracing framework for QEMU
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 21:35:15 +0530

Hi all,
The following patchset includes a simple implementation for qemu tracing. This introduces a framework for :
        i) Internal buffers for QEMU, and API for logging traces therein.
ii) Tracepoint framework that logs traces to the buffer and also interprets already logged traces. iii) Monitor commands to display logged traces in tracepoint-specific formats, and also for enabling/disabling tracepoints individually.

This is *work in progress*. There are known issues that I'm chasing, which includes segfault that happens while transitioning from monitor to guest with tracing enabled. (Will appreciate any pointers if I'm missing the obvious somewhere :-))

Stefan,
Thanks for your ideas on tracing ! I'm just posting out a rough cut of whatever I have ready ; We can take the best from both your patches and mine and have something running for qemu tracing. I'll take care of merging pieces together.

Looking forward to suggestions..
--
Prerna Saxena

Linux Technology Centre,