qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: irq problems after live migration with 0.12.4

From: Peter Lieven
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: irq problems after live migration with 0.12.4
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 13:47:07 +0200

Michael Tokarev wrote:
25.05.2010 15:03, Peter Lieven wrote:
Michael Tokarev wrote:
23.05.2010 13:55, Peter Lieven wrote:
[]
[64442.298521] irq 10: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
[]
[64442.299433] handlers:
[64442.299840] [<ffffffffa0000b80>] (e1000_intr+0x0/0x190 [e1000])
[64442.300046] Disabling IRQ #10

Apparently, for some reason, e1000_intr decided it's not
interesting IRQ or somehow wrong or not for that NIC.  I
dunno.  But something fishy is going on with IRQs here.

See also LP bug #584131 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/584131)
and original Debian bug#580649 (http://bugs.debian.org/580649)

Not sure if they're related...

It looks they are actually the same thing, but happens with
different devices and/or IRQs.  Either spurious, or unwanted,
or unrecognized or somesuch IRQ which is not recognized by
the irq handler, which results in disabling that IRQ by the
kernel, which is a bad thing (In your case it works because
e1000 works in 2 modes, interrupts and polling).

michael, do you have any ideas what i got do to debug whats happening?

Unfortunately, no idea.  I don't know neither kernel nor kvm
internals.
I would be very greatful if someone with deeper knowledge would hook up.
I'm also not familiar with internals, unfortunately.

looking at launchpad and debian bug tracker i found other bugs also
with a maybe related problem. so this issue might be greater...

Can you share your findings?  I don't know other debian bugs which
are similar to this one.
I suspect that other reports regarding crashed VMs after migration
might be related. If I take my test VM with that I can trigger the bug
and change the Network Adapter from e1000 to rtl8139 and leave
everything else untouched the VM hangs at 100% CPU..

Thanks!

/mjt