qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Getting tcg in a standalone library

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Getting tcg in a standalone library
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 01:35:47 +0200

On 07.06.2010, at 23:27, Peter Fritzsche wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently quite interesting in tcg for binary translation. There are
> many
> emulator projects (I mean mostly console emulators) out there which start to
> implement more or less bad ILs to translate their specific cpu (for example
> gameboy has z80, n64 has r4300i, gamecube has powerpc 750CXe, ...). These are
> most of the time x86 only and very limited. But it seems that qemu's cpu
> libraries aren't made for those cpu's and don't seem to provide the needed
> infrastructure for emulating such highly integrated systems (please correct
> me
> if I am wrong).

The old stuff is pretty tough, as it's timing critical. Everything as of the GC
should be fairly easy to emulate using tcg though, as you can just count the
overall emulated instructions and throttle it lazily from there. That's
basically what Dolphin does too.

For the 750CXe all that's left to do is to emulate the paired single
instructions. And I have a full emulation of those in the KVM code already, so
you could take it from there.

> I think that the best way to share code would be if other projects could also
> use tcg for their translation needs. But it seems to me that it it to tightly
> integrated into qemu and cannot be ripped out. Are their any plans to open it
> for other projects as you have already done it with the emulation cores?

Yes, I agree. That would indeed be useful. Patches are welcome.

Alex