qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] SPARC not booting SMP Linux kernel

From: Artyom Tarasenko
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] SPARC not booting SMP Linux kernel
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 07:46:31 +0200

2010/4/28 陈宇飞 <address@hidden>:
> I've tested the latest git HEAD version. But still has the problem.
>
> Investigating Linux kernel execution shows that the function which will clear
> the  interrupt is not executed.
>
> Here's the relevant kernel code.
>
> maybe_smp4m_msg:
>        GET_PROCESSOR4M_ID(o3)
>        set     sun4m_interrupts, %l5
>        ld      [%l5], %o5
>        sethi   %hi(0x40000000), %o2
>        sll     %o3, 12, %o3
>        ld      [%o5 + %o3], %o1
>        andcc   %o1, %o2, %g0
>        be,a    smp4m_ticker     /* Jump to smp4m_ticker, which will clear
> interrupt */
>         cmp    %l7, 14          /* Comparing the interrupt level*/
>        st      %o2, [%o5 + 0x4]
>        WRITE_PAUSE
>        ld      [%o5], %g0
>        WRITE_PAUSE
>        or      %l0, PSR_PIL, %l4
>        wr      %l4, 0x0, %psr
>        WRITE_PAUSE
>        wr      %l4, PSR_ET, %psr
>        WRITE_PAUSE
>        call    smp_reschedule_irq
>         nop
>
>        RESTORE_ALL

actually what would be interesting to look at is the code of
smp4m_ticker - the routine which should clear the irq.

>> On 4/27/10, 陈宇飞 <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Actually this has been test before.
>>>
>>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-08/msg00512.html
>>
>> That was before I added SMP support to OpenBIOS.
>>
>>> I've tested Debian 3.1 (with Linux 2.4.27.3) and Debian 4.0 (with
>>> Linux 2.6.18.6), on both qemu 0.10.6 and 0.12.3, emulating machine is
>>> set to SS-20.
>>>
>>> 1. non-smp kernel successfully boots with both -smp 1 or -smp 2.
>>> 2. smp kernel can only boot with -smp 1. (The 2.6 kernel is cross
>>> compiled by gcc 4.2.4 since no binary package is available)
>>>
>>> Some investigation with qemu's debug message and Linux kernel dump
>>> (the 2.6 kernel) shows that
>>>
>>> 1. When the boot cpu tries to start cpu 1, cpu 1 calls
>>> local_irq_enable. After that, cpu 1 get's lot's of level 14 interrupt.

Is 'cpu 1' the first or the second cpu?

>>> 2. Printing out the executed TBs' pc values shows that kernel
>>> interrupt handler is executed.
>>> 3. Qemu's do_interrupt debug message shows that cpu 1 always get level
>>> 14 interrupt at the same pc, which is the nop instruction just after
>>> the "mov %g1, %psr" instruction.
>>>
>>> I guess that the interrupt is not cleared even after the execution of
>>> the interrupt handler. I've found debian installation report which
>>> boots smp linux kernel, so I thinks this problem is caused by qemu?

Can you please try the patch http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/56338/ ?
Does it improve the situation?

--
Regards,