qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about qemu firmware configuration (fw_cfg) dev

From: Gleb Natapov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about qemu firmware configuration (fw_cfg) device
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 10:51:10 +0300

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 09:40:18AM +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:

> On 19.07.2010, at 09:33, Gleb Natapov wrote:

> >> I don't understand why the constraints of real h/w have anything to do
> >> with this.  Can you explain?
> >>
> > Each time we do something not architectural it cause us troubles later.
> > So constraints of real h/w is our constrains to.

> >> Every second counts.  We're trying to get libguestfs boot times down
> >> from 8-12 seconds to 4-5 seconds.  For many cases it's an interactive
> >> program.
> >>
> > So what about making initrd smaller? I remember managing two
> > distribution in 64M flash in embedded project.
>
> Having a huge initrd basically helps in reusing a lot of existing code. We do
> the same - in general the initrd is just a subset of the applications of the
> host OS. And if you start putting perl or the likes into it, it becomes big.

Why not provide small disk/cdrom with all those utilities installed?

> I guess the best thing for now really is to try and see which code paths insb
> goes along. It should really be coalesced.

It is coalesced to a certain extent (reenter guest every 1024 bytes,
read from userspace page at a time). You need to continue injecting
interrupt into a guest during long string operation and checking
exception condition on a page boundaries.

--
                        Gleb.