qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about qemu firmware configuration (fw_cfg) dev

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about qemu firmware configuration (fw_cfg) device
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 10:08:57 +0200

On 19.07.2010, at 10:01, Gleb Natapov wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 09:57:02AM +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:

>>> Why not provide small disk/cdrom with all those utilities installed?
>>
>> Because - if the loading is done fast - this way everything's in RAM
>> instantly. And you still have all devices available for use inside the
>> system - that makes enumeration a lot easier. There are several reasons why
>> and I don't think we should force different ways on people just because one
>> component of our system is ineffective.

> one, so I would say that it is your design that is to blame here, not
> KVM.

I disagree. Virtualization enables new use cases. The -initrd parameter is a
very good example for that. It's something that you simply couldn't do on real
hw.

>>> It is coalesced to a certain extent (reenter guest every 1024 bytes,
>>> read from userspace page at a time). You need to continue injecting
>>> interrupt into a guest during long string operation and checking
>>> exception condition on a page boundaries.
>>
>> That still sounds slow. So yeah, adding DMA is probably the right way to go.
>> But then again - if we model it after real hw it would be asynchronous,
>> giving us an interrupt, causing even more headache. Ugh.
>>
>> Can't we just ignore real hw constraints here and have it available in guest
>> ram once one particular PIO is done? No bus master, no interrupts, but full
>> speed and simplicity/atomicity which also helps migration.
>>
> We shouldn't add devices that work not like real HW to speed up some
> pathological cases (and are slow on real HW too).

Just because you don't use them doesn't mean they're pathological, really. We
simply chose a bad interface for transferring reasonable big chunks of data and
we need to fix that. If you want to look at it from a different perspective,
it's a regression. Older qemu versions did map the kernel and initrd directly
into guest ram, so now we're slower than back then.

Alex