qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about qemu firmware configuration (fw_cfg) dev

From: Gleb Natapov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about qemu firmware configuration (fw_cfg) device
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:40:41 +0300

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 09:34:11AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:55:33AM +0300, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> > Why not put then on cdrom or disk?
>
> It simplifies device and mountpoint enumeration not to have a separate
> disk.  It would also mean we couldn't use standard Fedora paths, or
> we'd have to have bind-mount /bin etc on to the disk mount point,
> which again complicates things.

Can't help you here, but if it's doable you can speedup your startup
time much more then by a second.

> Anyway, what we're talking about here is a problem in qemu.  How is
The problem is that you want to speed up your application. There is more
then one solution to the problem. If you come up with reasonable
solution in qemu that it OK.

> making initrd loading faster not a benefit for everyone?  Every boot
> has to load an initrd of some size, so making that operation faster
> benefits every user, even if individually only by a small amount.

Most users load initrd from a disk not by -initrd option.

--
                        Gleb.