qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about qemu firmware configuration (fw_cfg) dev

From: Gleb Natapov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about qemu firmware configuration (fw_cfg) device
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:19:22 +0300

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:13:38AM +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:

> On 19.07.2010, at 11:10, Gleb Natapov wrote:

> >> That would work with the above described device model. If we're going
> >> synchronous or asynchronous would become an implementation detail.
> >>
> > If vcpu thread will sleep for too much time without processing events we
> > can see strange timeouts in a guest.
>
> I don't think I understand what you mean?

Vcpu executes "in %ax". Next instruction is executed 6 seconds later.
All timers that should have been processed during this time fire at the
same moment triggering all kind of timeouts. Think about watchdog that
should be written into every two seconds otherwise it does reset.

> >> Because virtio-serial needs us to set up the full virtio-pci stack. That's
> >> too much to mess with in an option rom IMHO.
> >>
> > We already do it for virtio-blk. Read only support is very small in
> > LOC there. Don't know about virtio-serial protocol.
>
> The virtio-blk model uses the whole pxe framework. For our in-tree option
> roms we're trying to be simple. And I'd like to keep it that way. I really
> don't want to add PCI enumeration and BAR setup to that code.

The virtio-blk is entirely in seabios and does not use pxe at all!

--
                        Gleb.