qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about qemu firmware configuration (fw_cfg) dev

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about qemu firmware configuration (fw_cfg) device
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:21:34 +0200

On 19.07.2010, at 11:19, Gleb Natapov wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:13:38AM +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:

>>> If vcpu thread will sleep for too much time without processing events we
>>> can see strange timeouts in a guest.
>>
>> I don't think I understand what you mean?
>>
> Vcpu executes "in %ax". Next instruction is executed 6 seconds later.
> All timers that should have been processed during this time fire at the
> same moment triggering all kind of timeouts. Think about watchdog that
> should be written into every two seconds otherwise it does reset.

That's a hypervisor implementation detail! If we want to go synchronously, we
do. If something breaks, we don't. Doing it synchronously simpllifies things a
lot. And we're talking about a device that's only used before the OS kicks in.
There's no use in pretending we're running a watchdog there.

>>> We already do it for virtio-blk. Read only support is very small in
>>> LOC there. Don't know about virtio-serial protocol.
>>
>> The virtio-blk model uses the whole pxe framework. For our in-tree option
>> roms we're trying to be simple. And I'd like to keep it that way. I really
>> don't want to add PCI enumeration and BAR setup to that code.
>>
> The virtio-blk is entirely in seabios and does not use pxe at all!

So it uses even more framework :). The linuxboot stuff is completely separate
in its very own option rom.

Alex