qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio-9p is not working

From: Venkateswararao Jujjuri (JV)
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio-9p is not working
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:22:39 -0700

Cam Macdonell wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:27 AM, Dallas Lee <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have trying to use the virtio-9p for my linux in QEMU, but without
>> success.
>> Here is my option for booting my qemu:
>> i386-softmmu/qemu -kernel bzImage -append "console=ttyS0
>> video=uvesafb:ywrap,overlay:rgb16,address@hidden root=/dev/nfs rw
>> nfsroot=10.0.2.2:/root,udp ip=10.0.2.16:::::eth0:none 5" -net
>>  nic,model=virtio -net user -soundhw all -usb -serial
>> telnet:localhost:1200,server -vga std -m 512 -L ./pc-bios -bios bios.bin
>> -virtfs
>> local,path=/home/dallas/nfs,security_model=passthrough,mount_tag=v_tmp
>>
>> The virtio network is working, I could mount the nfs through virio net.
>> And in the guest linux, I tried to mount v9fs by using following command:
>> mount -t 9p -o trans=virtio -o debug=0xFFFF v_tmp /mnt
>> but unfortunately I got the error:
>> mount: mounting v_tmp on /mnt failed: No such device
>> And I can't find the v_tmp neither in /sys/devices/virtio-pci/virtio1/ nor
>> in /sys/bus/virtio/drivers/9pnet_virtio/virtio1/
>> And before building the kernel, I enabled the Plan 9 Ressource Sharing
>> Support under File System/Network File System, I also enabled the following
>> configures:
>> PARAVIRT_GUEST:
>>         -> Processor type and features
>>                 -> Paravirtualized guest support
>> LGUEST_GUEST:
>>         -> Processor type and features
>>                 -> Paravirtualized guest support
>>                         -> Lguest guest support
>> VIRTIO_PCI:
>>         -> Virtualization (VIRTUALIZATION [=y])
>>                 -> PCI driver for virtio devices
>> VIRTIO_BLK:
>>         -> Device Drivers
>>                 -> Block devices (BLK_DEV [=y])
>>                         -> Virtio block driver
>> VIRTIO_NET:
>>         -> Device Drivers
>>                 -> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y])
>>                         -> Virtio network driver
>> Would you please help me to find out the problem why I couldn't mount the
>> v9fs?
>> Thank you very much!
>> BR,
>> Dallas
>
> Hi Dallas,
>
> what does 'lspci -vv' in the guest show?  Is there a device for virtio_9p?
>
> do you have
>
> CONFIG_NET_9P_VIRTIO=y
>
> in your kernel's .config?

Can you please check if /proc/filesystems has 9P in it?

Check if you have '9' in any of the following files

cat /sys/devices/virtio-pci/virtio*/device

Also in that directory you will have a "mount_tag" file.

If any of the above are missing, please make sure that you have following
options enabled
in the guest kernel config.

CONFIG_NET_9P=y
CONFIG_NET_9P_VIRTIO=y