qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for July 27

From: Chris Wright
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for July 27
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:29:13 -0700

* Daniel P. Berrange (address@hidden) wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 07:17:06PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> >  On 07/27/2010 06:28 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> > >
> > >If we add docs/deprecated-features.txt, schedule removal for at least
> > >1 year in the future, and put a warning in the code that prints
> > >whenever raw is probed, I think I could warm up to this.
> > >
> > >Since libvirt should be insulating users from this today, I think the
> > >fall out might not be terrible.
> >
> > On a related note, we should ask libvirt to make qemu stderr output
> > available to its users, or perhaps an ABRT plugin to report such
> > messages from libvirt's logs.
>
> QEMU stderr+out is already recorded in /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/$GUESTNAME.log
> along with the env variables and argv used to spawn it. Or did you mean
> provide an API + virsh command /virt-manager UI for accessing the logs ?

I read that to mean...propagate stderr from qemu to be right in front of
the user.  So that's output from virsh or in virt-manager.  Trouble is,
that's only useful (at best) when starting a guest.  Perhaps some
virt-manager thing (an exclamation point to show there's errors in the
log and a way to read them), and a virsh utility to match (although
that'd require the user to actually poll the interface, at which point
they can just as easily just look at the log).

thanks,
-chris