qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone seeing huge slowdown launching qemu with Linux 2

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone seeing huge slowdown launching qemu with Linux 2.6.35?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:58:10 +0300

 On 08/03/2010 08:42 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
However, I don't think we can objectively differentiate between a "major" and "minor" user. Generally speaking, I would rather that we not take the position of "you are a minor user therefore we're not going to accommodate you".

Again it's a matter of practicalities. With have written virtio drivers for Windows and Linux, but not for FreeDOS or NetWare. To speed up Windows XP we have (in qemu-kvm) kvm-tpr-opt.c that is a gross breach of decency, would we go to the same lengths to speed up Haiku? I suggest that we would not.

libvirt and Windows XP did not win "major user" status by making large anonymous donations to qemu developers. They did so by having lots of users. Those users are our end users, and we should be focusing our efforts in a way that maximizes the gain for as large a number of those end users as we can.

Not breaking libvirt will be unknowingly appreciated by a large number of users, every day. Not slowing down libguestfs, by a much smaller number for a much shorter time. If it were just a matter of changing the help text I wouldn't mind at all, but introducing an undocumented migration-unsafe broken-dma interface isn't something I'm happy to do.

btw, gaining back some of the speed that we lost _is_ something I want to do, since it doesn't break or add any interfaces, and would be a gain not just for libguestfs, but also for Windows installs (which use string pio extensively). Richard, can you test kvm.git master? it already contains one fix and we plan to add more.

signature is too narrow to contain.