qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone seeing huge slowdown launching qemu with Linux 2

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone seeing huge slowdown launching qemu with Linux 2.6.35?
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 19:25:06 +0200

On 04.08.2010, at 19:19, Avi Kivity wrote:

> On 08/04/2010 08:01 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>>
>> That's another story and I totally agree here, but not reusing /dev/sd* is
>> not intrinsic in the design of virtio-blk (and one thing that Windows gets
>> right; everything is SCSI, period).
>>

> I don't really get why everything must be SCSI.  Everything must support
> read, write, a few other commands, and a large set of optional commands.  But
> why map them all to SCSI?  What's the magic?

Hence the reference to megasas. It implements its own read/write/few other
commands and the whole stack of optional commands as SCSI. I think virtio-blk
should be the same.

SCSI simply because it's there, it's flexible and it's well defined. You get a
working spec and a lot of working implementations.

Alex