qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone seeing huge slowdown launching qemu with Linux 2

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone seeing huge slowdown launching qemu with Linux 2.6.35?
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 19:31:59 +0200

On 04.08.2010, at 19:26, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> On 08/04/2010 11:45 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:
>> Frankly, I partially agreed to your point when we were talking about 300ms
>> vs. 2 seconds. Now that we're talking 8 seconds that whole point is moot. We
>> chose the wrong interface to transfer kernel+initrd data into the guest.
>>
>> Now the question is how to fix that. I would veto against anything normally
>> guest-OS-visible. By occupying the floppy, you lose a floppy drive in the
>> guest. By occupying a disk, you see an unwanted disk in the guest.
>

> Introduce a new virtio device type (say, id 6).  Teach SeaBIOS that 6 is
> exactly like virtio-blk (id 2).  Make it clear that id 6 is only to be used
> by firmware and that normal guest drivers should not be written for id 6.

Why not make id 6 be a fw_cfg virtio interface? That way we'd stay 100%
compatible to everything we have and also get a fast path for reading big
chunks of data from fw_cfg. All we'd need is a command to set the 'file' we're
in.

Even better yet, why not use virtio-9p and expose all of fw_cfg as files? Then
implement a simple virtio-9p client in SeaBIOS and maybe even get direct
kernel/initrd boot from a real 9p system ;).

Alex