qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone seeing huge slowdown launching qemu with Linux 2

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone seeing huge slowdown launching qemu with Linux 2.6.35?
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:16:47 -0500

On 08/04/2010 01:13 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:
On 04.08.2010, at 19:46, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 07:36:04PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
This is basically my suggestion to libguestfs: instead of generating
an initrd, generate a bootable cdrom, and boot from that.  The
result is faster and has a smaller memory footprint.  Everyone wins.
We had some discussion of this upstream&  decided to do this.  It
should save the time it takes for the guest kernel to unpack the
initrd, so maybe another second off boot time, which could bring us
ever closer to the "golden" 5 second boot target.

It's not trivial mind you, and won't happen straightaway.  Part of it
is that it requires reworking the appliance builder (a matter of just
coding really).  The less trivial part is that we have to 'hide' the
CD device throughout the publically available interfaces.  Then of
course, a lot of testing.
Why not go with 9p? That would save off even more time, as you don't have to
generate an iso. You could just copy all the relevant executables into tmpfs
and boot from there using your kernel and a very small (pre-built) initrd.

You can't boot from 9p.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Alex