qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone seeing huge slowdown launching qemu with Linux 2

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone seeing huge slowdown launching qemu with Linux 2.6.35?
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 21:16:33 +0100

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 02:06:58PM -0600, David S. Ahern wrote:

> On 08/04/10 11:34, Avi Kivity wrote:
>
> >> And it's awesome for fast prototyping. Of course, once that fast
> >> becomes dog slow, it's not useful anymore.
> >
> > For the Nth time, it's only slow with 100MB initrds.
>
> 100MB is really not that large for an initrd.

<note>

I'd just like to note that the libguestfs initrd is uncompressed.

The reason for this is I found that the decompression code in Linux is
really slow.  I have to admit I didn't look into why this is.  By not
compressing it on the host and decompressing it on the guest, we saved
a bunch of boot time (3-5 seconds IIRC).

Anyway, comparing 115MB libguestfs initrd and other initrd sizes may
not be a fair comparison, since almost every other initrd you will see
will be compressed.

</note>

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v