qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone seeing huge slowdown launching qemu with Linux 2

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone seeing huge slowdown launching qemu with Linux 2.6.35?
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 10:56:52 +0300

 On 08/05/2010 10:34 AM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 09:28:57AM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
   Hi,

The option rom stuff has a number of short comings. Because we hijack
int19, extboot doesn't get to run. That means that if you use -kernel to
load a grub (the Ubuntu guys for their own absurd reasons) then grub
does not see extboot backed disks. The solution for them is the same,
generate a proper disk and boot from that disk.
Oh, having extboot + linuxboot + multiboot register a BEV (correct
acronym?) entry instead of hijacking int19 would fix that too.
Additional bonus will be that they are selectable in the boot menu.

Good idea except that we are not good at communicating to seabios where
do we want to boot from by default.

We have the firmware configuration interface for that, if we can tolerate its speed.