qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Running the user emulation

From: C K Kashyap
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Running the user emulation
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:56:22 +0530

Thanks Stefan for the explanation ... It does not look like a pleasant thing to do though :)

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Stefan Weil <address@hidden> wrote:
Am 11.08.2010 11:33, schrieb C K Kashyap:
I was wondering if it would be easy to force build the user-emulation on mac - as in, lets say my a.out from linux is really trivial - even statically linked for that matter. All it does is, say, write "hello world\n" to the screen - I'd imaging that write system call would be similar on mac (as far as writing to stdout is concerned) .... Would it be possible/easy to give it a shot?

It should be possible. Projects like wine can emulate windows system calls on linux.
Emulating darwin system calls on linux is much easier.

If you want to try it yourself, you could start by removing the exit from file configure:

    if test "$linux" != "yes" ; then
      echo "ERROR: Target '$target' is only available on a Linux host"
      # exit 1
    fi

Then you can run 'configure --target-list=i386-linux-user'.
Run make and fix all error messages which you will get.
If you think they are in code which you don't need for your a.out,
#if 0 ... #endif helps to remove that code.

Run the new-built qemu-i386 with your a.out and fix the remaining bugs.

That's all :-)