qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] memory trace with qemu

From: Eduardo Cruz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] memory trace with qemu
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:26:17 -0300

Ok, I succeeded in adding the process tracker hack into qemu and
linux, and also in keeping track of the memory access (thanks Yufei
Chen for the tip).
I also simulated a cycle counter by counting the number of
instructions executed, which is equivalent to a cpu with cpi equals to
1.
But, as I am studying parallel programs behavior, I get very strange
results due to the fact that qemu executes thousands of instructions
of a cpu before moving to another cpu in smp systems.
I tried to limit this number, but it makes qemu very slow or even crash.
To achieve this, I added an helper that generates a timer event after
every X instructions executed.
I don't know If I am doing it in a wrong way.

Any suggestions?

--
Eduardo Henrique Molina da Cruz
MSc student